Tuesday 28 October 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: My picks for 'Films To Get In The Halloween Spirit'.


It was so difficult choosing between the three potential topics up for grabs, but I felt like a bit of a change. As well as being a book lover, I'm a huge fan of films. Of course I had to list my ten favourites for Halloween! I have a bit of a mix of both fun and scary on here, so I hope you guys enjoy!

1) Hocus Pocus

I love all things Witchy, and this film is no exception. I remember watching it a few times as a child and absolutely loving it/being a little scared by it! It tells the tale of a group of children and their quest to stop three witches from regaining their youth by draining the life forces of the children in the town. I remember Bette Midler being hilarious, and I was absolutely mesmerized by Sarah Jessica Parker's character when she sang 'Come Little Children'. 

2) Little Shop Of Horrors

Now this film is just one of my all time favourite scary comedies. It's a musical, set in the slums of New York City. It tells the story of a young Florist worker, who is cursed with endless bad luck until he nurtures a mysterious, rare plant. It seems he is set to become rich and famous but all is not as it would seem. I've actually been in this musical on-stage and it's a lot of fun! The songs are catchy, the content a little gruesome and some of the jokes are side-splitting!

3) The Grudge

Now while this is not necessarily the scariest film, it was the first horror film that I ever watched. It made me love the genre and it certainly scared me! I don't think I'd watch it alone, even now! Set in a cursed house, where all that set foot inside are doomed to be haunted the spirits that reside there until they die, and attempts to escape their fate are fruitless. If you are after something a little scarier with a heavy dose of the paranormal, this is the film for you.


4) Shaun Of The Dead

Anyone who has watched and enjoyed this film knows why it is here. It's hilarious! A spoof of the well-known 'Dawn Of The Dead', it marks the second film of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost's 'Cornetto Trilogy'. Just to let you know 'Hot Fuzz' (the first) and 'At World's End' (the third) are pretty scary/funny too! I would recommend them all if you want to jump a few times and laugh a lot!


5) Coraline

Now this one is a bit different because it's an animated film. Yet it's a great take on Neil Gaiman's original book and genuinely very scary to people that watch it. The story of a girl whose 'Other Mother' on the other side of a secret door offers her everything she ever wanted in order to lure her into giving up her soul is a terrifying one. Give this a watch if you want something with a slightly different style to it.


6) It

I'm going to go for one of the oldies, though it's still pretty terrifying. I've watched this film/TV two parter a couple of times. Despite being unimpressed with the CGI/effects of the time, I still found it worth a watch for the story. And Tim Curry is just marvellous in it. He makes that film the classic that it is.



7) The Rocky Horror Picture Show

Yet another Tim Curry film, this is probably one of the strangest movies I've ever watched. It's a musical about transvestites, sex and aliens. Weird, right? But who doesn't know the Time Warp dance? It's the perfect example of a cult classic and is beloved by many.





8) Deadly Silence

A seriously scary film and one of the best I've seen in a long time. I had to include this one! It has a crazy, old lady in it that loves and owns far too many ventriloquist dummies. Of course, such an eccentric and vengeful character refuses to just slip into death peacefully. If you're a fan of ghost stories, this is a good one for you.


9) Jaws


Let's go for a scary film that is slightly different from the rest. It's a classic once again, but there are no witches, zombies, ghosts or werewolves to be found here. Instead, our heroes find themselves facing a humongous shark that is out to eat any human being it can get it's teeth into. It has a few jumps and a very scary concept.



10) Death Becomes Her

A definite black comedy that is a must for fans of the genre. Two female rivals find themselves drinking a potion which they are told is the secret to eternal youth. One, along with the other's husband, plots to murder her but they find themselves in for a nasty shock when the potion reveals it's other side effect. Immortality. Meryl Streep is in this one and absolutely hilarious!

No comments:

Post a Comment