Tuesday 7 April 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: My picks for 'Characters I Would Like To Check In With'.


What a great (and very difficult) topic! I'm going to seriously struggle with this one because most of the books I read, I want to check in on the characters afterwards! Still, at least I will definitely have ten!

1) Jean-Baptiste Baratte from 'Pure'; Andrew Miller. 

I read this book over a year ago and really enjoyed it! It focused on only one year of a man's life and I really would like to see how he got on with his life after the destruction of Les Innocents. Quite a lot happened in the book that would have had a major impact on his life.

2) Charlie from 'The Perks Of Being A Wallflower'; Stephen Chbosky.

A lot of people will probably be wondering why I didn't pick Patrick from this book, but I know that Charlie will give me a very factual, detailed account on how everyone is doing, not just himself. I suppose I'm cheating a bit but I would love to hear from the all of the characters in this story.

3) Karou from the 'Daughter Of Smoke & Bone' Series; Laini Taylor.

Everyone who read my review for 'Days Of Gods & Monsters' knows that I was a little unimpressed with the ending. You can't just end the book, then ditch the happy ending for a 'Oh by the way, here's a new threat that I had an idea for but can't fit in the book so I'll end it here, sorry'. I would quite like to see Karou and Akiva happy thank you very much!

4) Elizabeth Bennett from 'Pride & Prejudice'; Jane Austen.

This is one of my favourite books and ends really nicely, but I always thought it would be interesting to check back on Elizabeth and Darcy, and find out what they (and indeed their families and friends) are getting up to! Is Elizabeth happy? Did more of her sisters get married? How are Jane and Mr Bingley? So many questions!

5) Any character from any Series set in Tortall; Tamora Pierce.

Am I cheating again? What I love about the books set in Tortall is that they always reference characters we have heard from before. Alanna plays a big part in 'The Immortals' and 'The Protector Of The Small' series, and we see a lot of Daine during books where Kel is a main character. They don't steal the show but they let me know they are happy. I guess what I'm actually asking for is a new series where I get to see my favourite characters again!

6) Luna Lovegood from The 'Harry Potter' Series; J.K. Rowling.

Clearly I want to find out about all of the characters, but Luna is the only one who I don't really remember getting a mention in the 'many years later' scene. In other words, Rowling actually already does this for me but I want a whole book on the matter. I haven't let go of Harry Potter yet.

7) Sarah Grimke from 'The Invention Of Wings'; Sue Monk Kidd.

When I read this book, I was gripped from start to finish. I loved every part of it, but found myself taken aback by how abrupt the ending was. It felt a little like a cliffhanger, despite this being a stand-alone book, so I would love to see how both Sarah and Handful get on after the events of the book! 

8) Ari from 'Aristotle & Dante Discover The Secrets Of The Universe'; Benjamin Alire Sáenz.

I adored this book. Though I'm no expert LGBT reader, it's my favourite of the genre, there's no doubt about that! The ending really pleased me too, but I want to see more of Ari and Dante and check in on how they are doing! I think what I want most of all is just to see Ari happy, as he spends a good majority of the book being angry and cynical and not really understanding why.

9) Julia Winterson from 'The Girl Who Chased The Moon'; Sarah Addison Allen.

I really loved this lady's story-line, despite thinking I was there to read more about Emily. I want an update on her relationship with Sawyer and more importantly to find out about them after the end of the book! I won't spoil anything for those who haven't read it, but something really heartwarming happens at the end and I want to see what will obviously play out next actually happen!

10) Mina Harker from 'Dracula'; Bram Stoker.

This book is a recent read of mine and I really liked it! Now, I really want to see a little more of what happened to all of the characters after their supernatural encounter. Did Johnathan and Mina have children? Did Dr. Seward find someone to make him happy? Does Van Helsing track down any more vampires? And what about poor Arthur?! There's something about classics like this that really get me investen in the future of the characters!

No comments:

Post a Comment