Sunday 12 November 2017

Book Review: Hortense & The Shadow; Natalia O'Hara & Lauren O'Hara.

This was a very quick read just to help round the week off, which intrigued me on Netgalley! I like illustrated books as of late, especially if they are a little darker and read like a fairy tale. I'm always happy to break up big reads with a little children's story!

SOURCE: Netgalley
TYPE: E-Read

TITLE: Hortense & The Shadow
AUTHOR: Natalia O'Hara & Lauren O'Hara
SERIES: --
PUBLISHER: Puffin
PAGES: 32
GENRE: Children's, Picture Book, Fantasy

RATING: 4/5 Stars


Blurb:
Hortense is a kind and brave girl, but she is sad--even angry--that her shadow follows her everywhere she goes. She hates her shadow, and thinks her shadow must hate her too. 

But one cold, dark night, when bandits surprise her in the woods, Hortense discovers that her shadow is the very thing she needs most.


What I Liked:
  • The illustrations are normally my favourite part of reading picture books (otherwise, what's the point?) but these were gorgeous. What made it even better was the realisation that there was a hidden element in most of them and trying to find it each time. Definitely worth a couple of re-reads for that alone!
  • The message of this story is both adorable and crystal clear. It really read like a fairy tale, both cute but with a slightly twisted element that will give some readers the shivers for sure.
What I Disliked:
  • There was very little that I disliked, though after such an intense and slightly sinister build up I was sort of disappointed by the anti-climactic ending. I kind of expected a little more 'danger' though this is aimed at children so I kind of understand the lack of real threat!
Overall Conclusion:
This is a book that can definitely appeal to all ages for a variety of reasons. If you love good artwork, buy this. If you like fairy tales then this will also be good for you. It's definitely a children's story and I'd mostly push this towards the kids who love a little magic and like to find 'hidden things'. It's imaginative, fun, and very sincere in it's message.

No comments:

Post a Comment