Saturday 22 June 2019

Book Review: Shadow Of The Fox; Julie Kagawa.

I had read a lot of mixed reviews for this one going in, but I was excited to read it because many of the reviewers compared it to anime, which I love!

SOURCE: NetGalley
TYPE: E-Books

TITLE: Shadow Of The Fox
AUTHOR: Julie Kagawa
SERIES: Shadow Of The Fox (#1)
PUBLISHER: HQ Young Adult
PAGES: 384
GENRE: Young Adult, Fantasy, Adventure

RATING: 4.5/5 Stars


Blurb:
A single wish will spark a new dawn.

Every millennium the missing pieces of the Scroll of a Thousand Prayers are hunted, for they hold the power to call the great Kami Dragon from the sea and ask for any one wish.

As a temple burns to the ground Yumeko escapes with its greatest treasure – the first piece of the scroll. And when fate thrusts her into the path of a mysterious samurai she knows he seeks what she has. Kage is under order to kill those who stand in his way but will he be able to complete his mission? Will this be the dawn that sees the dragon wake?

What I Liked:
  • There is just a wonderful amount of research that has gone into this book. It is rooted in Japanese historical culture and folklore, and I loved all of the yokai, amanjaku and Kami that were introduced in the book. Honestly, there were so many great characters - nobles, peasants, samurai, ronin, monks...this book had it all!
  • I really enjoyed the plot! There was an overriding arc that was very intriguing, but plenty of 'side quests' and sub-plots along the way that kept the pace up and my interest.
What I Disliked:
  • The reviews weren't wrong - this does read like an anime cartoon. for me, that was awesome! But it meant that for the first few chapters it made for a pretty weird reading style. Also, I feel like this won't be everyone's cup of tea because of it.
Overall Conclusion:



For me, this story had everything I could have wanted from it. The characters were likeable and fitted some fun tropes, the world-building was extraordinarily good, and Kagawa paced the story nicely! The anime style made for some weird reading at first, but I loved that it helped me to envision everything so clearly and I would watch this anime for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment