Tuesday 6 October 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: My picks for 'Bookish Habits I Want To Quit'.


I really struggled with this week's topic because I'm not very well at the moment and I really couldn't get creative with this topic so I just went for habits instead.

1) Taking too long to read books.

This is something I get really annoyed about, even though I am actually a pretty quick reader. I feel  like books take me a long time to read, because I have read books in the past of the same length in a shorter amount of time. When I know I can read a book in a certain amount of time, I end up beating myself up for not reading every  book in that time when I know I can!

2) Not organising my time effectively.

This sort of ties up with number one but I am a bit rubbish with planning. I don't have a huge amount of free time on my hands, but when I do I find I'm easily distracted by other things and don't make enough time for reading. At least, not as much as I'd like to. 

3) Skimming.

I do have this really annoying habit of skimming sentences sometimes. It really irritates me because then it means, occasionally, I miss important plot points that are referenced later and I then have to go back and find them. It's so annoying!

4) Re-reading repeatedly.

There are occasions where I lose focus while reading. In these instances, it soon becomes pretty clear to me that I have because I end up reading the same sentence over and over. My current record is reading it eight times on repeat. I really hope I don't beat that.

5) Judging books by their covers.

I am so bad at this! It's terrible too because when I have read books with awful covers they have actually turned out to be good. I've read books with stunning covers that have not met my expectations too and I don't know why I continue to do this...but the covers are so pretty!!

6) Not stepping out of my comfort zone enough.

I like to think that I read across a lot of genres, and yet I also definitely have likes and dislikes. For example, I don't read a lot of romance, am not really into chick lit and it's very difficult to get me to read New Adult. Nevertheless, I have stepped out of my reading bubble every once in a while and have enjoyed those experiences. Maybe I should do it more often?

7) Being scared of long books.

Long books frighten me. That's normally because of habit numbers 1 & 2 and I'm scared they'll take me a year to read. But long books are also really enjoyable most of the time, and there are so many of them on my TBR (particularly the classics). I ought to quell my fear of tackling something challenging and just do it!

8) Putting too many books on the TBR list.

A couple of months ago I had over 1000 books on my TBR list. Since then, I've majorly sorted them out and narrowed it down to half that amount. That's still a horrendous amount of books to get through though, and it still feels like every time I read one, I add three more. I'm pretty sure a lot of book readers suffer from this however, so I'm trying not to beat myself up about it too much!

9) Not finishing series that I have started.

This is one of my worst habits that I'm desperately trying to atone for this year. If you look at all the books I have read, you will see a ton of series that I have started, loved, but not finished. This needs to change! I will get better at reading through series'!

10) Letting reading challenges dictate my monthly reads.

I have actually improved upon this topic since last year, but I'm still not one hundred percent. I enter a lot of fun reading challenges, but I'm a little bit competitive and like to try to do really well at them too. As a result, I end up putting aside books that I really want to read in exchange for something that will fill one of my challenge topics. Oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment