Saturday 30 September 2017

Book Review: I Am Malala; Patricia McCormick & Malala Yousfazai.

This book has been on my TBR for so long and I knew I'd like it, but it's my favourite read of the month hands down because it was so good. I learnt a lot about war, the Taliban, Pakistan, Islam and of course Malala's story! As she says, education is important and I feel very educated after reading!

SOURCE: Netgalley
TYPE: E-Read

TITLE: I Am Malala
AUTHOR: Patricia McCormick & Malala Yousfazai
SERIES: --
PUBLISHER: Orion Children's Books
PAGES: 241
GENRE: Biography, Memoir, Non-Fiction

RATING: 5/5 Stars


Blurb:
Written in collaboration with Patricia McCormick, Malala tells her story - from her childhood in the Swat Valley to the shooting, her recovery and new life in England. 

She's a girl who loves cricket, gossips with her best friends, and, on the day of the shooting, nearly overslept and missed an exam. A girl who saw women suddenly banned from public, schools blown up, the Taliban seize control, and her homeland descend into a state of fear and repression. 


This is the story of her life, and also of her passionate belief in every child's right to education, her determination to make that a reality throughout the world, and her hope to inspire others.

What I Liked:
  • This book made me cry. That's it. It was so passionately written and inspiring, and I loved that Malala kept focusing on her cause: the education of women. It is important that everyone reads this book I think, in order to see those living under the thumb of groups such as the Taliban as real humans rather than 'another news article'.
  • I learnt so much! I never really understood much about the Taliban, how they came to be and what they believed in so I really felt that Malala's perspective gave a much clearer understanding of these things. McCormick did a great job helping to focus this for a younger audience too yet the simplification did not presume a lack of intelligence in any way.
What I Disliked:
  • I honestly felt that there were no dislikes for this book as it had me totally hooked and was well structure. I wish I'd read it sooner and it made me feel sad that Malala and her family have been forced into their position.
Overall Conclusion:
This is a great look at Malala's life which is passionate, inspirational, heartbreaking and at many times witty too! |I liked Malala's voice, it was warm and fun, with a great attitude towards her life and what's important to her. This is definitely one of those books that I feel anyone and everyone should read if possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment