Sunday 17 September 2017

Book Review: O Frabjous Day!; Lewis Carroll.

I'm at it again with the poetry! Having tried Neil Hilborn, a modern-day poet, I thought I'd go with something classic. I love Penguin's 'little black classics' too, such a great idea!

SOURCE: Gift
TYPE: Paperback

TITLE: O Frabjous Day!
AUTHOR: Lewis Carroll
SERIES: Little Black Classics (#106)
PUBLISHER: Penguin
PAGES: 56
GENRE: Poetry, Classic

RATING: 3/5 Stars

Blurb:
'I cried, "Come, tell me how you live!"
And thumped him on the head.'

Conjuring wily walruses, dancing lobsters, a Jabberwock and a Bandersnatch, Carroll's fantastical verse gave new words to the English language.





What I Liked:
  • I liked that I recognised a lot of these poems! Readers or watchers of 'Alice In Wonderland' will be thrilled to find 'How Doth The Little Crocodile', 'You Are Old Father William' and 'The Walrus & The Carpenter' (among others) because they will bring back fond memories of Carroll's more famous work!
  • One poem that I really enjoyed was 'The Hunting Of The Snark'. It was long but it perfectly embodied what Lewis Carroll's writing is all about: clever word-play, light-hearted fun and oodles of imagination!
What I Disliked:
  • Some poems were less impressive. I didn't really appreciate 'The Dear Gazelle' (which felt very unfinished), 'The White Knight's Song' or 'The Two Brothers' because they were so nonsensical that they were pretty confusing.
Overall Conclusion:
I really did like this little collection and Penguin did a great job with it's presentation. These little black classics are so worth the small price because they give you another glimpse at very well-known authors through some of their less popular, shorter work. I recommend this collection who want a little more of Lewis Carroll's work in their lives, but also want to evoke strong memories of 'Alice In Wonderland'.

No comments:

Post a Comment