Sunday 11 March 2018

Book Review: Spectacle Vol. 1; Megan Rose Gedris.

Graphic novels are becoming more and more of a favourite for me! I've always loved admiring the stunning art and the fact that they tell a story at the same time? Even better. It was the front cover that drew me into this one, but I'm glad I picked it up!

SOURCE: Netgalley
TYPE: E-Read

TITLE: Spectacle Vol. 1
AUTHOR: Megan Rose Gedris
SERIES: Spectacle (#1)
PUBLISHER: 
Oni Press
PAGES: 136
GENRE: Young Adult, Graphic Novel, Fantasy, Mystery

RATING: 4/5 Stars


Blurb:
Pragmatic engineer Anna works as a psychic in the Samson Brothers Circus, but she doesn't believe in anything supernatural—until her twin sister Kat is murdered and comes back as a very demanding ghost. Sharing a room with her sister was hard, but now they're sharing a body while trying to identify the killer. With few leads, a troupe full of secretive folk, and strange paranormal occurrences popping up around the circus, solving the case seems near impossible. But the murderer in their midst may be the least of their problems...


What I Liked:
  • Let's start with the visuals, the key to any great graphic novel. Gedris sure is talented! I loved her art style, it was eclectic and unique. Particularly, I adored the randomly inserted page spreads character drawings. I mean, you only have to look at the front cover to get an idea of how pretty everything inside will be! It perfectly set the tone of the book too.
  • The characters were well-rendered and definitely likeable. I really like stories set in a circus because you normally get a mix of personalities and this was no different! My favourites were the vain and seedy (but somehow adorable) ringmaster Jebediah Tetanus, and the shrill, overly-excited snake charmer with a heart of gold, Flora.
What I Disliked:
  • I wasn't overly convinced when I fist started. Gedris has a very particular sense of humour that I wasn't fully on board with in the beginning, and Anna's blunt nature didn't help. As the plot progressed though it became deeply engrossing. I would definitely love to read more of this series!
Overall Conclusion:
All in all, I really enjoyed this read. It took a little time for me to get into it, and a lot of this is introduction to the characters, but I can really see this series going somewhere special! The Deputy Sheriff side-story was a little off from the main plot, but necessary in showcasing Anna's newfound powers, and I can't wait to see more of the overriding story arc feature and find out a little more about the other circus performers! Sister bonds are my favourite thing to read about, so this is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment