Thursday 19 September 2019

Book Review: Aphrodite Made Me Do It; Trista Mateer.

I really felt like I wanted to read some poetry, and I loved the idea of this collection because there are references to Greek mythology, in particular Aphrodite.

SOURCE: NetGalley
TYPE: E-Read

TITLE: Aphrodite Made Me Do It
AUTHOR: Trista Mateer
SERIES: --
PUBLISHER: Central Avenue Publishing
PAGES: 224
GENRE: Poetry, LGBTQ+, Feminism

RATING: 3.5/5 Stars


Blurb:
Bestselling and award-winning author Trista Mateer takes an imaginative approach to self-care in this new poetry and prose collection, Aphrodite Made Me Do It. 

In this empowering retelling, she uses the mythology of the goddess to weave a common thread through the past and present. By the end of this book, Aphrodite will make you believe in the possibility of your own healing.


What I Liked:
  • The dialogue between poet and Aphrodite was really cool. It's empowering and quotable, and covers a lot of themes - feminism, abuse, love and hate. I liked watching the two figures interact and the reimagining of the way that Aphrodite's story has been interpreted.
What I Disliked:
  • I think the main problem with this collection comes from the fact that I found it a little forgettable. There are some great quotes and yet none of them have really stuck with me. That might change with a re-read or two but I'd have liked to have been a little more blown away.
Overall Conclusion:
This was a really interesting collection and I enjoyed reading it. It opened some really interesting dialogue between Mateer and Aphrodite about the role of women in society throughout the ages, and I definitely appreciated that part of it. I particularly liked Aphrodite's sections. But I wish that I'd loved it enough that I'd been reflecting on it all day afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment