Monday 30 September 2019

September Wrap-Up.

Reading-wise, I'm going through a pretty tough time at the moment. I'm allowing myself to just read what I can and be happy with what I achieve, but I definitely miss being able to plow through the books that I used to! I got through five reads, two of which were unplanned graphic novels!


  1. 'The Poet X' by Elizabeth Acevedo. I absolutely adored this. It was gorgeously written in prose, contained a very diverse cast of characters, and highlighted a number of important issues in an intelligent way. I'll definitely be reading more of Acevedo's stuff! 4.5/5 Stars.
  2. 'Fence [Vol. 2]' by C.S. Pacat & Johanna The Mad. This series is becoming a fast favourite of mine! I really enjoyed the tournament style flow of this book, as well as watching the relationship development. 5/5 Stars.
  3. 'Aphrodite Made Me Do It' by Trista Mateer. I don't read poetry often, but I quite enjoyed this. It read as a conversation between Mateer and Aphrodite, Greek goddess of love. I liked the spin on Aphrodite's story that Mateer came up with! 3.5/5 Stars.
  4. 'Lumberjanes [Vol. 1]' by Noelle Stevenson. As I read and enjoyed 'Nimona' a lot, I really wanted to try out this story of friendship and girl power! The themes and humour were there but I found the plot a bit too fragmented with little context. 3/5 Stars.
  5. 'Reign Of The Fallen' by Sarah Glenn Marsh. I had really high hopes for this high fantasy featuring a bisexual necromancer MC, but alas, the majority of the book was a repetitive cycle of grief and substance addiction with very little addition to the plot. It was a real shame. 2/5 Stars.

This month I read four books for the Beat The Backlist Challenge, making my yearly total twenty four.

- The Poet X
- Fence [Vol. 2]
- Lumberjanes [Vol. 1]
- Reign Of The Fallen

This month I read one book for the New Release Challenge, making my yearly total ten.


- Aphrodite Made Me Do It








This month I read zero books for the Finishing The Series Challenge, making my yearly total four.






This month I read four books for the Diversity Reading Challenge, making my yearly total twenty five.

- The Poet X
*Mini Challenge: POC: Hispanic/Latinx*
- Fence [Vol. 2]
- Lumberjanes [Vol. 1]
- Reign Of The Fallen

No comments:

Post a Comment