Wednesday 9 January 2019

Book Review: Glimpse; Kendra Leighton.

It has taken me an absolute age to start this book (I got hold of my copy way back in 2014) and I didn't finish until two months after starting! But that's not a reflection on the book itself, which I liked.

SOURCE: Netgalley
TYPE: E-Read

TITLE: Glimpse
AUTHOR: Kendra Leighton
SERIES: --
PUBLISHER: Much-In-Little
PAGES: 304
GENRE: Paranormal Romance, Young Adult, Ghost Story, Retelling

RATING: 3.5/5 Stars


Blurb:
Liz just wants to be normal. Her life is anything but.

Seven years ago Liz lost her mother and ten years' worth of memories. When she inherits the infamous Highwayman Inn, she hopes the move will be a fresh start. Then she meets Zachary. Zachary who haunts her by night and in dreams; who makes her question everything she is and wants to be; who seems scarcely real - yet makes her feel so alive.


What I Liked:
  • The story was a rather good one, and I liked how it adapted the poem and made it such a focal point for the story. The inn is real, the highwayman and landlord's daughter were real people, and they all play a huge part in the story. There was plenty of action to keep me entertained and though it was a simple plot, it was well executed.
  • The 'glimpses' that Liz experiences in the story were interesting and I liked how they allowed Liz to see the spirits in the world. It was actually super creepy at some points and helped to build some tension.
What I Disliked:
  • I liked the flow of the story up until the end. I felt that the final chapters were a bit too rushed, and most of the revelations brushed over. What we learn about Liz (and Zachary) is a pretty big deal with huge implications but we're just told it's all a happy ending and everything is fine. Maybe just a little more explanation on what that means for the future.
Overall Conclusion:
I liked this story, and wish I'd read it before to be honest. It's been waiting on my shelf for far too long to be justifiable! Good plot, likeable characters, and some fun inspiration from a classic poem. I wish a bit more care had goneinto the end as it was a bit rushed and important revelations were breezed over. But all in all I enjoyed that, and it was a good read to start the year with!

No comments:

Post a Comment