Sunday 1 June 2014

Daily Shenanigans, 01/06/2014: 'Maleficent'.

So today was a lovely day off, but I did get a surprising amount done. Actually I was pretty productive! I've made a start on 'The Luminaries' and it's pretty enjoyable so far. I'm intrigued to see where this one will lead. In fact I spent a good bit of the day reading, doing blog stuff and generally relaxing. I posted two other posts today, my 'Planned Reads For June' and my 'Weekly Wishlist' which I really enjoyed writing! I did also create a review archive page, which I plan to show on my blog ASAP. It was satisfying to put all of my reviews in one place, and I can't wait to add to it! This evening, I went to pick Mat up from work and then we headed to his and watched another episode of 'Game Of Thrones'. Well, most of it anyway. We had to stop ten minutes before the end to go to the cinema.

It was worth the interruption though because this evening I watched 'Maleficent'. I think it's going to be pretty hard to put into words how excited I was for this film. It looked like it was going to take Sleeping Beauty's story down a similar path that 'Wicked' did with 'The Wizard Of Oz'. I worried that I would be disappointed, but now I realise I had nothing to worry about at all. It was a stunning film. They made a few changes to the story but that was really to be expected. The visuals, first off, were stunning. Particularly some of the scenes set in the land of the Fairies. These were among my favourite, the huge amount of imagination that went into this film was something to behold. I actually really did like the story itself too. 

Angelina Jolie did a wonderful job as the titular character. I'm not an overly big fan of hers and I worried that I wouldn't enjoy her performance, but she was perfect for the role! Cold-hearted and cruel, but with hidden depths that were a joy to discover. I also really loved Imelda Staunton as Knotgrass and Elle Fanning played Aurora wonderfully. Again, I worried that I might find her annoying, but I found instead the complete opposite! Sharlto Copley was great as the mad King Stefan but for me the star performance came from Sam Riley as Diaval the Raven. I found him to be so funny and they really made his character a memorable one.

All in all, a fantastic film with great costumes and a beautiful soundtrack to boot! Tomorrow I'm working again but I plan to squeeze in a lot of reading around my shift. I have to get the train tomorrow, so I will certainly be able to use that time to my advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment