Monday 30 June 2014

June Wrap-Up Post.


Whew! So this month was a bit of a slow one, but this last week I have been on fire and caught up a bit with what originally looked like it was going to be a disappointing reading month. I've read all of my challenge books, my picked Netgalley read and 4/6 of my other planned reads! This is also going to serve as my Bookish Bingo Wrap-Up post, which I didn't do too badly on either!

Physical Books:

  1. 'The Luminaries'; Eleanor Catton. This was a beautifully written book with a diverse range of characters and a memorable setting. I found myself getting easily frustrated at the slow pace and the plot-line didn't feel hugely exciting. 3.5/5 stars.
  2. 'A Game Of Thrones'; George R.R. Martin. A fantastic first book to a very promising series, this Fantasy had the lot! I loved the structure of the book and the plot-line gripped me from start to finish. The characters were a little hard to remember at times (there were so many) but I didn't mind. 4.5/5 stars.
  3. 'The Bees'; Laline Paull. A really good book that exceeded my expectations! The bee viewpoint felt believable and I felt like a lot of work went into this read! I really liked the characters too, and the plot was interesting. 4.5/5 stars.
  4. 'Paper Towns'; John Green. So this book made me pretty happy as it was full to the brim of John Green's unique writing style. Witty and touching, I was gripped by the mystery being solved. I was a bit disappointed by the end though. 3.5/5 stars.

Kindle Reads:



  1. 'Stolen Songbird'; Danielle L. Jensen. This book was my favourite read of the month! It made me remember why I love the Fantasy genre so much. The characters were great, the romance believable, the concept very imaginative and it was just done right. 5/5 stars.
  2. 'One Hundred Years Of Solitude'; Gabriel Garcia Marquez. This was such a strange book to read and I'm still completely confused about whether I liked it. It was a really nice concept and beautifully written but I couldn't get my head around the character names and it jumped about a bit. 2/5 stars.
  3. 'The Graveyard Book'; Neil Gaiman. My first ever Gaiman read and I really enjoyed it! The characters had lots of personality and I felt it had a bit of a creepy undertone which I really liked. I was confused about the point of re-introducing one particular character after reading the end but it didn't hugely detract from the plot. 3.5/5 stars.
  4. 'No Lasting Burial'; Stant Litore. My only Netgalley read this month! I really enjoyed this one (I just about sneaked it in there before the end of the month). The plot was great, world-building well thought out and I loved the characters too. 4/5 stars.

All in all then, I've managed 8 books this month! Not terrible, considering that it looked like it would only be 3 at one point! June also marks the end of the Bookish Bingo three month Spring card (April-June) and I am eager to share my moderate success!


Green Cover: Stolen Songbird, Danielle L. Jensen. REVIEW.
Set During Wartime: A Game Of Thrones, George R.R. Martin. REVIEW.
New-to-you Author: The Three, Sarah Lotz. REVIEW.
A Romance: A Certain Slant Of Light, Laura Whitcomb. REVIEW.
Featuring Recovery: Cuckoo Song, Frances Hardinge. REVIEW.
Child Narrator: The Invention Of Wings, Sue Monk Kidd. REVIEW.
Set In The Caribbean: A Red Tale, Nicola Mar. REVIEW.
Latino MC: One Hundred Years Of Solitude, Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez. REVIEW.
Has Been Made Into A Movie: The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins. REVIEW.
Freebie: The Luminaries, Eleanor Catton. REVIEW.
Spring Release: Thereafter, Terri Bruce. REVIEW.
Featuring Travel: Demolition Queen (Champagne, Murder & Chaos), Betsy Cook Speer. REVIEW.
Strong Parent-Child Relationships: The Fault In Our Stars, John Green. REVIEW.
Set In High School: Paper Towns, John Green. REVIEW.
Written By A Woman: Deep Blue, Jennifer Donnelly. REVIEW.
1st In A Series: Tithe (A Modern Faerie Tale), Holly Black. REVIEW.
Yellow Cover: The Bees, Laline Paull. REVIEW.
Starts With S, P, R, I, N or G: The Poison Eaters, Holly Black. REVIEW.
A YA Book: Days Of Blood & Starlight, Laini Taylor. REVIEW.
Zombies: No Lasting Burial, Stant Litore. REVIEW.

No comments:

Post a Comment