Sunday 14 April 2019

Book Review: A Myth To The Night; Cora Choi.

This has been on my NetGalley list for a while, and I was kind of intrigued by the idea of the plot, so I thought I'd give it a go!

SOURCE: NetGalley
TYPE: E-Read

TITLE: A Myth To The Night
AUTHOR: Cora Choi
SERIES: A Myth To The Night (#1 - #5)
PUBLISHER: Self-Published
PAGES: 265
GENRE: Young Adult, Fantasy, Ghost Story

RATING: 1/5 Stars


Blurb:
Once home to the illustrious Order of the Crane -- guardians of the world's myths and legends -- Stauros Island, now in the hands of the Order of the Shrike, is an elite university whose students are guaranteed positions of power upon graduating. 

However, a dark curse hangs over the island: students are disappearing. The school officials declare it the work of a demon, and blame Hugh Fogg -- a young monk of the Order of the Crane who died 400 years earlier. 

Could the spirit of a young man who died in 1615 come back to haunt an island and terrorise its students? If so, for what purpose? A Myth to the Night is Hugh's story and his struggle to see his mission complete. 

What I Liked:

  • I thought that the idea sounded pretty cool. Ghosts, figures of folklore from around the world, two battling ancient Orders and all at a University on an Island! I didn't know what to expect, but I knew it would be different!
What I Disliked:
  • The plot was absolutely all over the place and totally threw me. There was just so much to it and a lot of unnecessary sub-plots, and the pacing was way too fast throughout most of the story so really didn't take time for a reader to catch their breath!
  • I really didn't like the characters either. Far too two-dimensional, with no personalities as such - they were just somewhere on the emotional spectrum all the time, often on the extreme end. It meant that the dialogue felt immature and stilted!
Overall Conclusion:
I really didn't enjoy this read, sadly. The concept was very different and had a lot of original elements to it, but it was not executed well at all which was sad. I'd have liked to see a slower pace, tidier plot and better developed characters as I think this could have had some potential with these things!

No comments:

Post a Comment