Friday 19 July 2019

Book Review: Mooncakes; Suzanne Walker & Wendy Xu.

I stumbled upon this one on NetGalley quite by accident but I'm so glad I did! What a find!

SOURCE: NetGalley
TYPE: E-Read

TITLE: Mooncakes
AUTHOR: Suzanne Walker & Wendy Xu
SERIES: --
PUBLISHER: Lion Forge
PAGES: 256
GENRE: Graphic Novel, LGBTQ+, Fantasy, Romance

RATING: 4/5 Stars


Blurb:
Nova Huang knows more about magic than your average teen witch. She works at her grandmothers' bookshop, where she helps them loan out spell books and investigate any supernatural occurrences in their New England town.

One fateful night, she follows reports of a white wolf into the woods, and she comes across the unexpected: her childhood crush, Tam Lang, battling a horse demon in the woods. As a werewolf, Tam has been wandering from place to place for years, unable to call any town home.

Pursued by dark forces eager to claim the magic of wolves and out of options, Tam turns to Nova for help. Their latent feelings are rekindled against the backdrop of witchcraft, untested magic, occult rituals, and family ties both new and old in this enchanting tale of self-discovery.

What I Liked:

  • This story just felt so effortless. I liked the plot because it was heartwarming and felt like a fresh take on a few common tropes! I was intrigued by the world-building and wanted to know more about this world filled with witches, ghosts, demons and people with pigeon heads.
  • I really loved the diversity in this one. In this story you'll find a non-traditional family structure, Chinese-American characters, a deaf MC, a F/NB romance, and so much more! If you support diverse books then please give this adorable story a try!
What I Disliked:
  • I'd have liked this to be longer? Currently, it seems to be a standalone and I'd love to see this as part of a series because I'm so intrigued by a lot of aspects of this and want some of my questions answered! It did give me that 'snapshot' feeling rather than that of the whole picture, so I'm hoping that this turns into something bigger!
Overall Conclusion:
I really loved this graphic novel, and am so glad that it caught my attention while browsing NetGalley. Not only was it a quick, easy read but it was a great story, and had oodles of great characters and fun supernatural shenanigans. I'd like to see more from this world please!

No comments:

Post a Comment