Wednesday 4 April 2018

Book Review: Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them; J.K. Rowling.

Yes, yes. I know. This was not on my April list. But I really couldn't resist anymore? Those animated illustrations looked SO cool and once I started reading, I just couldn't stop!

SOURCE: Bought
TYPE: E-Read

TITLE: Fantastic Beasts & Where To Find Them
AUTHOR: J.K. Rowling (as Newt Scamander)
SERIES: Hogwarts Library (#1)
PUBLISHER: 
Hodder Children's Books
PAGES: 160
GENRE: Young Adult, Fantasy, Reference

RATING: 4/5 Stars


Blurb:
This glorious new Kindle in Motion edition of Newt Scamander's 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' (considered a classic throughout the wizarding world) features an extraordinary array of magical creatures, from Acromantula to Yeti via ten different breeds of dragon – all beautifully illustrated in full colour in a beautifully designed digital reading experience by the brilliantly inventive, Greenaway Medal-shortlisted Olivia Lomenech Gill.

The artist’s interpretations of these creatures and their habitats are newly animated to come alive on your device. Cower at the terrifying transformation of a werewolf, and regard the power and grace of a grazing Erumpent. Discover a Niffler snuffling out some valuables, and a fierce Griffin guarding some treasure. Keep an eye on the famously cautious Hippogriff burrowing alongside its fledgling, and marvel at the splendour of a combusting phoenix.

Famed Magizoologist Newt Scamander's years of adventure and exploration have yielded a work of unparalleled importance, admired by scholars, devoured by young witches and wizards, and even made available to Muggles in the early years of this century. With this dazzling Kindle in Motion edition, readers can explore the magical fauna of five continents from the comfort of their own armchairs. Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is essential reading at Hogwarts.

What I Liked:

  • The art in this book is incredible. Honestly, Olivia Lomenech Gill did herself proud with both the still pieces and especially the animations! I bought the book particularly for this reading experience, as the moving images would certainly add to the magic of it all, and I'm so glad I wasn't disappointed on this front!
  • I thought that Rowling did a great job at giving Newt a lot of personality in his writing! He was very serious about the topic at hand, passionate about magizoology and a little eccentric at the same time. It certainly gave me a new appreciation for Eddie Redmayne's portrayal of him in the movies (the plots of which are not referenced in this book, which I'm saying in order to prevent confusion). I particularly loved the essay at the beginning on the classification of beasts and beings. Fascinating!
What I Disliked:
  • I would have liked more beasts. Rowling included a large variety of course, and there's no doubt that a lot of work was involved in coming up with them. I do understand that this is not designed to be a record of every magical beast in existence. That being said, I would have liked to have seen more because I'm a completionist! Where were the three-headed dogs? The dementors? That is literally my only complaint though.
Overall Conclusion:
I really liked this a lot! Those looking for the plot of the movies or a 'story' will be disappointed as this is designed as if it were a school text book containing information, probably for a Care Of Magical Creatures class. This is the end product of Newt Scamander's study of magical beings. Nevertheless, it adds so much into the lore of the Harry Potter universe. Rowling did such a great job building the wizarding world and this answers a lot of questions regarding exactly how some of the 'beasts' have remained hidden.

No comments:

Post a Comment