Saturday 10 August 2019

Book Review: Nimona; Noelle Stevenson.

It seems that it is the month of Graphic Novels/Comics for me, and I'm actually quite happy about that because there are a few I've had my eye on for a while. This one was on my TBR from quite a while ago!

SOURCE: Web-Comic
TYPE: E-Read

TITLE: Nimona
AUTHOR: Noelle Stevenson
SERIES: --
PUBLISHER: Harper Collins
PAGES: 272
GENRE: Graphic Novel, Fantasy, Young Adult

RATING: 4.5/5 Stars


Blurb:
Nimona is an impulsive young shapeshifter with a knack for villainy. Lord Ballister Blackheart is a villain with a vendetta. As sidekick and super-villain, Nimona and Lord Blackheart are about to wreak some serious havoc. Their mission: prove to the kingdom that Sir Ambrosius Goldenloin and his buddies at the Institution of Law Enforcement and Heroics aren't the heroes everyone thinks they are.

But as small acts of mischief escalate into a vicious battle, Lord Blackheart realises that Nimona's powers are as murky and mysterious as her past. And her unpredictable wild side might be more dangerous than he is willing to admit.

What I Liked:
  • I absolutely loved the world that this story was set in. It had modern technology and science, but also a decidedly Medieval setting with some magic thrown in for good measure! It was just so interesting and blended together seamlessly despite the odd combination. 
  • I really loved the banter and relationship between Lord Blackheart and Nimona! I'm a bit of a sucker for a villain-turned-antihero storyline, especially if they kind of become like a father to someone along the way. All. The. Feels.
What I Disliked:
  • The ending was just too ambiguous for me, and not happy enough. I don't like vague endings, and this really disappointed me in that regard. It was okay, but I expected more after the build-up.
Overall Conclusion:
There was so much to love about this comic - unrequited m/m feels, anti-hero goodness, an intriguing plot, amazing dialogue, fun characters and a really cool setting! It's a shame that the ending didn't live up to my high hopes, but this is definitely still worth picking up!

No comments:

Post a Comment