Tuesday 28 January 2014

A motivational speech to myself.

Well Readers, the time has come to make a change to my life.

After far too much procrastination, forgetting about and downright laziness I have decided to make a decision about this blog. Either get rid of it or commit. And I mean commit. After much thought, I have realised that the problem lies with my inability to find a reason to write this blog, and bad time management. I am quite busy with my Final Year at University, and when I'm not, I never feel that I have anything truly worth saying. The lack of definite purpose makes it very difficult for me to dedicate time to it.

This decision making process has come at a very important time on my life. After three years studying Performing Arts, I have realised now that what I enjoy most in life is writing, in particular plays and fiction. This is what I have decided to do with my life and in order for it to work, I need to once again show commitment. Sorting through my room recently, I have rediscovered piles upon piles of dusty, unfinished books that I started and never completed (a theme that seems quite prevalent within this post) and, after much persuasion from my sister (who is far more organised than I, her blog can be found here: http://tutusandballetshoes.blogspot.co.uk/ , I would recommend a read! She actually regularly updates!) I am attempting to sort my life out and read through them all.

Reading and writing have always been a passion of mine, and something that I would like to consider myself fairly good at. I have spent too long worrying about being good at things I no longer truly enjoy, and not long enough engaging in and practicing the things that I do. On a recent shopping trip with my previously mentioned sister, we visited several Charity Shops and ended up coming away with a good six or seven books each that were real finds. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed doing that. Perusing the titles, examining their front covers, reading those first few lines and finally deciding that this book intrigues me enough to hand over the cash and take it home. I want, one day, to have written one of those books that someone finds accidentally on the shelf while searching for something else. Wouldn't it be lovely to be able to give someone else that feeling? To have someone want to read the words that I have painstakingly written?

Perhaps this is more a motivational speech to myself than a blog post as such. The point is, for my Final Year I am preparing a final piece that I must research and script for, tasks which I have thoroughly enjoyed and dedicated much time to. If I can put so much work into that, then I should be able to do the same with this blog by using it to review and comment on my favourite books or latest reads, as well as give updates on my own life and progress on my career dream to have my own book published. 

That is my plan. And I will stick to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment