Friday 31 May 2019

May Wrap-Up.

Well I set myself a smaller goal this month, and will do so next month too as the wedding is really taking up most of my time now. Of the six reads I set myself, I actually managed three though which I'm pretty proud of!


  1. 'The Yellow Wall-Paper' by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. It really took me by surprise how much I enjoyed this feminist classic set of short stories. There were three in this 'little black classic' and each was very different but cleverly written with a great plot. I thoroughly recommend to anyone who hasn't stumbled across Perkins Gilman yet! 5/5 Stars.
  2. 'The Astonishing Colour Of After' by Emily X.R. Pan. This is a book I had really looked forward to reading, and the writing was as beautiful as I'd heard it was. I liked the plot, the huge exposure to the culture of Taiwan and the magical realism. I think the characters could have used some work, especially MC Leigh, but I'm impressed that this is Pan's debut. 4/5 Stars.
  3. 'The Valley Of Fear' by Arthur Conan Doyle. It has definitely been a while since I read a Sherlock Holmes book and I liked dipping into this one. It had a great mystery to solve, an interesting backstory and, as usual, fantastic banter between Holmes and Watson. I wish that Moriarty had been a little more involved and the ending hadn't been so abrupt though. 4/5 Stars.

This month I read three books for the Beat The Backlist Challenge, making my yearly total sixteen.

- The Yellow Wall-Paper
- The Astonishing Colour Of After
- The Valley Of Fear


This month I read zero books for the New Release Challenge, making my yearly total three.










This month I read zero books for the Finishing The Series Challenge, making my yearly total three.







This month I read one book for the Diversity Reading Challenge, making my yearly total twelve.

- The Astonishing Colour Of After *Mini Challenge: (East Asian/Southeast Asian/Pacific Islander)*

Here is the update for Pretty Deadly Blog's Bookish Bingo card.


Warm Climate: And The Mountains Echoed; Khaled Hosseini
Stand-Alone: The Astonishing Colour Of After; Emily X.R. Pan
Large Cast Of Characters: Crooked Kingdom; Leigh Bardugo
Spring Release: The Life-Changing Magic Of Tidying; Marie Kondo
Three Word Title: Fierce Fragile Hearts; Sara Barnard
Freebie: -
Novella: The Mirror & The Maze; RenĂ©e Ahdieh
Epistolary: The Yellow Wall-Paper; Charlotte Perkins Gilman
Yellow Cover: Rubyfruit Jungle; Rita Mae Brown
A Book I Own: Everless; Sara Holland
School Setting: Myth To The Night; Cora Choi
Mystery Thriller: The Valley Of Fear; Arthur Conan Doyle

No comments:

Post a Comment