Sunday 16 July 2017

Book Review: Goodnight Stories For Rebel Girls; Elena Favilli & Francesca Cavallo.

So, being my day off and realising I'm falling a little behind with my reading challenge, I decided to pick up a couple of reads that I recently acquired which I knew would be quick reads. This was my first. There really should be more books like this in the world. Books that promote the idea that women are just as powerful as men. That they can achieve.

SOURCE: Bought
TYPE: Hardcover

TITLE: Goodnight Stories For Rebel Girls
AUTHOR: Elena Favilli & Francesca Cavallo
SERIES: --
PUBLISHER: Particular Books
PAGES: 212
GENRE: Children's Fiction, Non Fiction, Short Stories

RATING: 4/5 Stars


Blurb:
What if the princess didn't marry Prince Charming but instead went on to be an astronaut? What if the jealous step sisters were supportive and kind? And what if the queen was the one really in charge of the kingdom? Illustrated by sixty female artists from every corner of the globe, Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls introduces us to one hundred remarkable women and their extraordinary lives, from Ada Lovelace to Malala, Elizabeth I to Serena Williams. 

Empowering, moving and inspirational, these are true fairy tales for heroines who definitely don't need rescuing.

What I Liked:
  • There are one hundred different female role models in this book, and while I loved seeing the obvious ones (Elizabeth I, the Bronte Sisters, Cleopatra etc.) but loved reading about women I'd never heard of before too (favourite stories included Brenda Chapman, Grace O'Malley, Michaela Deprince and Almna Al Haddad among many others). Their were some truly inspiring tales, and they are all about real life events so this is the perfect, empowering book for young or older children to read in order to learn more about the past contributions of women!
  • I loved the diverse coverage found in this book. First of all, the women were not all white! They came from so many different places around the globe - all continents! It was such a relief because it's hard enough to find books about inspiring women generally, let alone if they aren't from a Western civilisation! While there could have been a few more LGBT+ stories, they were included in this book and I especially liked reading about Kat Coy. The achievements were diverse too - from conquering countries, to curing diseases, to even fighting for the right to drive. Awesome stories!
  • The art! Obviously! It was probably the most awesome part of the book! I love the story of how this book actually came together, and that it was so well funded via Kickstarter. The pictures that are drawn for each woman are the most interesting, and the credits to each Artist at the end of the book are so important! 
What I Disliked:
  • The stories were a little on the short side, each filling up only a page. Of course they are aimed at children, but while they normally started well, the endings were a little vague and lacklustre in a lot of cases. Many details had to be left out of course, but I felt like the ending hadn't been properly covered in a lot of cases. Also, the quotes for each lady were mixed. Some were great, others were vague and a bit boring.
  • Some of the choices were a little interesting...I'm thinking particularly of Margaret Thatcher of course. I liked how they handled it - they never commended her actions, only her iron will and steely determination, which is something to be commended. However, you chose her over other great figures such as Joan of Arc? I find that unbelievable! This really is such a little thing, but it did bug me a little bit...
Overall Conclusion:
This book is designed for children and frankly, it's one that we need! Great examples of real-life women who have not listened to men telling them they can't do things, and gone ahead and done them anyway. They are told in a Fairy Tale style which I also liked because not all Fairy Tales should be Princesses waiting for Princes to rescue them. I liked the diversity and the large spectrum of women in terms of fame and what they fought for. I wish the stories had been longer of course, and some obvious examples were not included which was a shame. Overall however, this is a book that is good for children to read, boy or girl, because it teaches a valuable lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment