Sunday 17 June 2018

Book Review: Warrior Witch; Danielle L. Jensen.

It actually pains me how disappointed I was that I didn't fall in love with this final installment of this series. The first book was so good, and I'd really hoped that my disappointment with the second would be a case of 'filler book' syndrome. Sadly, not so.

SOURCE: Bought
TYPE: E-Read

TITLE: Warrior Witch
AUTHOR: Danielle L. Jensen
SERIES: The Malediction Trilogy (#3)
PUBLISHER: Angry Robot
PAGES: 317
GENRE: Fantasy, Young Adult, Paranormal Romance

RATING: 2.5/5 Stars


Blurb:
Sometimes, one must become the unimaginable… 

Cécile and Tristan have accomplished the impossible, but their greatest challenge remains: defeating the evil that they have unleashed upon the world. As they scramble for a way to protect the people of the Isle and liberate the trolls from their tyrant king, Cécile and Tristan must battle those who’d see them dead. To win, they will risk everything…and everyone. 

But it might not be enough. Both Cécile and Tristan have debts, and they will be forced to pay them at a cost far greater than they had ever imagined.

What I Liked:
  • Jensen's world-building is still very much there, which makes me so happy! After all, it was the world-building that I fell in love with in the first book and that made me want to read more. I got to see more of Trollus again, as well as plenty of Trianon and some new places too thanks to the appearance of the Fey in the story!
What I Disliked:
  • I really feel that part of my problem with this book came from the lack of attention to one of my favourite OTPs, Cécile and Tristan! I loved them in book one, and was so sad that they spent most of book two apart! So imagine my shock that no sooner were they reunited, then they split up again in this final installment. Even when they were together, I missed the snarky Tristan from previous books and fiery Cécile had become a little cruel and bratty! Such a shame!
  • That ending deserves a review of it's own. I hated it. I mean truly, it destroyed all of the hard work that Jensen put into developing her characters! Not just for Roland and Marc, but especially for Cécile and Tristan. No spoilers, but no amount of tacking on a final paragraph about how it 'all worked out in the end' fools me. That was a horrible ending for them and I felt cheated!
Overall Conclusion:
I liked elements of this book and I think that Jensen really writes well, which is why I did end up giving this book half marks. But I am so angry at the treatment of an OTP that I loved so much in book one, and especially that ending, and I had some niggles with the constant need for an end of chapter 'shock plot-twist' too. It was like the opposite of book two, where there was only one major twist that I guessed from the start. Here, too much seemed to happen in the space of one novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment