Sunday 28 May 2017

Book Review: The Memoirs Of Sherlock Holmes; Arthur Conan Doyle.

I have not read from 'The Complete Collection Of Sherlock Holmes' for ages, and was really in the mood for some more adventures with my favourite sarcastic detective! I certainly got them in this next set of short stories!

SOURCE: Borrowed
TYPE: Hardcover

TITLE: The Complete Sherlock Holmes (The Memoirs Of Sherlock Holmes)
AUTHOR: Arthur Conan Doyle
SERIES: Sherlock Holmes (#4)
PUBLISHER: Barnes & Noble Classics
PAGES: 142
GENRE: Mystery, Classics, Historical Fiction

RATING: 5/5 Stars


Blurb:
The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes are overshadowed by the event with which they close - the meeting of the great detective and Moriarty, the Napoleon of Crime. 

Their struggle, seemingly to the death, was to leave many readers desolate at the loss of Holmes, but was also to lead to his immortality as a literary figure.



What I Liked:
  • I really enjoyed a lot of the stories in this book. Even the ones which I felt had slightly disappointing endings were still fantastically written stories that kept me guessing from start to finish. I definitely think that Doyle had a great talent for short stories in particular! Favourites included 'Silver Blaze', 'The Stockbroker's Clerk', 'The Reigate Squire' and 'The Resident Patient'.
  • In 'The Greek Interpreter' we got to meet Mycroft! I loved the idea of a lazy, overweight guy who was better than Holmes but too sleepy to do anything with it! Not only that, but 'The Final Problem' finally marked our introduction to Professor Moriarty and the famous Reichenbach Falls scene! While the story was a little rushed, I loved it and Moriarty was everything I imagined!
What I Disliked:
  • There were some stories that I enjoyed but I felt could have been rounded off a little better. Stories like 'The Naval Treaty', 'The Gloria Scott' and 'The Greek Interpreter' were a little unpolished and could have done with a bit more of an ending. Nevertheless, the build-up was great and I loved them still.
Overall Conclusion:
Great stories, and a great talent, it is easy to see why these stories have become such classics! I'm so excited about the prospect of reading more of these stories, and I love the loose thread of an actual bigger plot arc being poked through each story. The introduction of Mycroft and Moriarty was most welcome too. Looking forward to more!

No comments:

Post a Comment