Thursday 28 December 2017

Book Review: The Worm & The Bird; Coralie Bickford-Smith.

A Christmas gift...sort of. I was given money this year, and decided to spend some of it on books that I've wanted to own for some time now! This was one of them, as I read and loved 'The Fox & The Star' and am looking to collect anything and everything by this talented artist!

SOURCE: Present
TYPE: Hardcover

TITLE: The Worm & The Bird
AUTHOR: Coralie Bickford-Smith
SERIES: --
PUBLISHER: 
Particular Books
PAGES: 64
GENRE: Graphic Novel, Children's Fiction, Short Story

RATING: 4/5 Stars


Blurb:
Digging through the ground day in and day out, Worm dreams of a better life. Despite having endless paths of dirt to plough, other burrowing creatures to befriend, and underground treasures to discover, Worm wants more--more space to be alone. Too busy to see the world around it, pushing everything aside, Worm learns a hard lesson in appreciating what you have and where you are.



What I Liked:
  • Just like Bickford-Smith's previous work 'The Fox & The Star' this story was beautifully drawn. I've really enjoyed reading more graphic novels and sequential illustrations because I find art fascinating and soul-soothing, and I read this a few times so that I could look at the pictures again and again. The attention to detail is exquisite!
What I Disliked:
  • I guess my main problem with this one was the ending, or lack thereof. I kind of got the message that the story was trying to convey, but I also felt that it was all a bit vague. I would have liked something clearer, especially in a book aimed for children.
Overall Conclusion:
This was a stunning book. It's easy to see why Bickford-Smith's work is so revered! I love her art style, and that she draws so much inspiration from fairy tales and the natural world. I foresee that Bickford-Smith will release many of these and I'll certainly be happily collecting them all! I might be a little on the negative side though when it comes to what I took from the message: that we should make do with a bleak lot in life and not risk change because otherwise it probably won't go our way. Yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment