Tuesday 19 April 2016

Top Ten Tuesday: My picks for 'Book Characters That Made Me Laugh'.


The actual theme this week is Books That Made Me Laugh, but for me it's normally particular characters that get a giggle out of me because I have such a particular sense of humour. I've chosen ten (somehow) and can't wait to see if anyone agrees!

1) Sturmhond/Nikolai from 'Siege & Storm' by Leigh Bardugo.

I don't think I've really spoiled anything here, seeing as the whole Pirate to Prince thing is an early reveal in Book Two. From the moment I met Sturmhond, I found him charming and funny. He cracked some really great one-liners and I loved his consistently witty responses. Nikolai was also great. He maxed up the charm factor, but it was pretty fun to watch him fluster Alina and even better when he managed to annoy Mal. My kind of guy!

2) Isabella Trent from the 'Memoirs By Lady Tent' series by Marie Brennan.

This book is written in the form of a memoir (so an elderly Isabella Trent is retelling the story of her life) and I have to say that she is the funniest old lady I have ever read in a book and the kind that I would love to meet. Her commentary on her past actions and notes to her editors made me laugh audibly so many times and most of the reason that I adore this series is because of her feisty nature. I hope that when I age, I keep her youthful spirit.

3) Sherlock Holmes from the 'Sherlock Holmes' series by Arthur Conan Doyle.

I'll be very surprised if I'm the only person to choose this character/series for this week's topic. Holmes is hilarious! Sure he's arrogant and infuriating, and has too many bad habits to count but his lack of caring towards his peers, sarcasm and wit is too funny and I love him anyway. I only recently read the second novella in this series, so I'm looking forward to continuing with it in the near future!

4) Tristan from 'Stolen Songbird' by Danielle L. Jensen.

I read this book quite a while ago, and I remember particularly enjoying the relationship between Cecile and Tristan and this was mostly down to Tristan's sarcastic sense of humour. They played off each other perfectly and I couldn't help but chuckle my way though most of the book.

5) Howl from 'Howl's Moving Castle' by Diana Wynne Jones.

When I watched the Studio Ghibli film of this I loved this character so much. He's vain of course, but so funny! In the book he's exactly the same and watching him interact with Sophie was all the funnier. Jones' writing is so witty and I really would like to get round to the next couple of books soon.

6) Randle McMurphy from 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest' by Ken Kesey.

This book actually covers a very serious topic and can be quite sad at times, but there is no denying that Randle McMurphy is funny. His wise-cracking was one of the things that I immensely enjoyed about the book, and anyone who has seen the movie will know that Jack Nicholson is perfect for the role!

7) Captain Thorne from 'The Lunar Chronicles' series by Marissa Meyer.

This guy has got a similar personality to Nikolai, but I've seen a lot more of him and love him more. Of the four male love interests in the Lunar Chronicles, he was my absolute favourite because he made me laugh. Loudly. His relationship with Cress was the thing I adored reading. I'm hoping to get hold of 'Stars Above' soon in the hopes of reading more of them.

8) Don Tillman from 'The Rosie Project' by Graeme Simsion.

This was actually the name that first came to mind when I saw the topic for this month. Don Tillman has got to be one of the funniest book characters alive, make no mistake about it. Due to the fact that he suffers from Aspergers Syndrome (unknowingly) he often makes a lot of social mistakes, and I love that Simsion has tried a light-hearted approach when handling Don's mental health.

9) Zuzana from the 'Daughter Of Smoke & Bone' series by Laini Taylor.

I loved a lot of things about this series, but the one thing that I really enjoyed was Zuzana's sense of humour, which is very similar to that of a good friend of mine. Her interactions with Karou, particularly in Book One, made the whole thing feel very authentic. A brilliant character!

10) Tyrion Lannister from the 'A Song Of Ice & Fire' series by George R.R. Martin.

This guy cracks me up in the show, and he certainly didn't disappoint me when I started reading the books. He's probably one of my favourite characters of all time, and his chapters are always the ones that I enjoy most. He's sarcastic, has a great sense of irony and isn't afraid to poke fun at himself and other characters that in most situations inspire great fear in me as a reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment