Friday 21 December 2018

Book Review: Feminists Don't Wear Pink (& Other Lies); cur. Scarlett Curtis.

It's been a while since I last read a Feminist book, and this is actually the next chosen read for our Podcast! I was so glad that this book turned out to be everything I hoped it would!

SOURCE: Bought
TYPE: Hardcover

TITLE: Feminists Don't Wear Pink & Other Lies
AUTHOR: cur. by Scarlett Curtis
SERIES: --
PUBLISHER: Penguin
PAGES: 364
GENRE: Feminism, Non-Fiction, Essays, Poetry

RATING: 5/5 Stars


Blurb:
A collection of writing from extraordinary women, from Hollywood actresses to teenage activists, each telling the story of their personal relationship with feminism, this book explores what it means to be a woman from every point of view.

Often funny, sometimes surprising, and always inspiring, this book aims to bridge the gap between the feminist hashtag and the scholarly text by giving women the space to explain how they actually feel about feminism.

Published in partnership with Girl Up, the UN's women's foundation, royalties will benefit the charity.

What I Liked:
  • I loved that this book, made up of so many passionate voices and stories, still had one very distinctive message. Feminism is a huge topic and often incites very different viewpoints, but although every contribution showed a new experience, they all wanted to say the same thing.
  • Every piece was really great and I didn't find myself disliking any of them. A few stood out of course: Kiera Knightley's, in particular, was fiercely powerful and phenomenally written, and I laughed out loud several times at Kat Dennings's 'KIDNAPPED' list. Being a bookworm, I also appreciated Emma Watson's 'Our Shared Shelf' recommendations. Great choices!
What I Disliked:
  • I don't think I disliked anything about this? Seriously! I really think it was well put together, with many different, interesting accounts, and even a small poetry break!
Overall Conclusion:
There's not much more to say on this one - a fantastic read that gave me the same feelings as Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's 'We Should All Be Feminists'. They should put this book in schools and everyone should buy it for at least one family member for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment