Saturday 29 December 2018

Book Review: Stars Above; Marissa Meyer.

I have been waiting to read this book. Merry Christmas to me! I'm so happy that I got this book for Christmas, it was one I'd been hoping to find under the tree come Christmas morning!

SOURCE: Gift
TYPE: Paperback

TITLE: Stars Above
AUTHOR: Marissa Meyer
SERIES: The Lunar Chronicles (#0.1-#0.6, #1.1, #3.1, #4.5)
PUBLISHER: Square Fish
PAGES: 400
GENRE: Young Adult, Sci-Fi, Short Stories, Retelling

RATING: 5/5 Stars


Blurb:
The universe of the Lunar Chronicles holds stories - and secrets - that are wondrous, vicious, and romantic. How did Cinder first arrive in New Beijing? How did the brooding soldier Wolf transform from young man to killer? When did Princess Winter and the palace guard Jacin realize their destinies?

With nine stories - five of which have never before been published, Stars Above is essential for fans of the bestselling and beloved Lunar Chronicles.

What I Liked:
  • These stories were everything I'd ever wanted or needed for extras to one of my favourite series of all time. I loved 'The Lunar Chronicles' so much that I was very pleased to have not just one but nine extra short stories from the series. The characters were just how I remembered them, and I have to say, the thing that I appreciated most was that I learnt something more about each of them with every story.
  • Obviously my favourite thing about this was getting to see the gang again, and so my favourite story was 'Something Old, Something New' because everyone was there and everything about it was so pure. I also liked 'The Little Android' a lot as it contained a whole new story with different characters, and was a great retelling of 'The Little Mermaid'.
What I Disliked:
  • I personally didn't dislike anything about this book at all. I found all of the stories insightful, a lot of fun, they added something to the overall world-building of the series. My least favourite story was 'The Mechanic' because it was a scene from Cinder but from Kai's POV. It didn't really add much. But I still loved it.
Overall Conclusion:
Thank goodness I finally got to read this book. It was well worth the wait! Nine fantastic stories with interesting plots, well-crafted world-building and the loveable characters that I remembered from before. I laughed a lot but also got a bit emotional at some of the sadder backstories, namely Cress's first introduction to her lonely satellite and Winter's decision to never use her gift again. Fans of the series, get this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment