Friday 28 December 2018

Book Review: Useless Magic; Florence Welch.

I'm a huge fan of Florence & The Machine's music, and Florence herself is a huge inspiration to me so I was really happy to receive this book for Christmas. I read it as soon as I could!

SOURCE: Gift
TYPE: Hardcover

TITLE: Useless Magic
AUTHOR: Florence Welch
SERIES: --
PUBLISHER: Fig Tree
PAGES: 288
GENRE: Poetry, Lyrics, Non-Fiction

RATING: 4/5 Stars


Blurb:
Lyrics and never-before-seen poetry and sketches from the iconic vocalist of Florence and the Machine

Songs can be incredibly prophetic, like subconscious warnings or messages to myself, but I often don't know what I'm trying to say till years later. Or a prediction comes true and I couldn't do anything to stop it, so it seems like a kind of useless magic.


What I Liked:
  • This book is stunning. I honestly really enjoyed reading through this, mostly because I felt like I gained an insight into Florence's creative process, as well as seeing her gorgeous lyrics written out before me. My favourite part was probably the poetry at the end, seeing as I'm loving more poetry recently!
What I Disliked:
  • Personally, I didn't dislike anything! This is a gorgeous book. But I can imagine that some people will be a little disappointed by the lack of content, other than lyrics to the band's songs and a little extra lyrics/poetry. There could have been a little more insight from Florence about some of her life experiences or passions.
Overall Conclusion:
Fans will probably really like this a lot. A lot of thought has gone into the design of the book, and I loved the different elements found instead: scans of inspiration scraps, typed up lyrics, jotted down notes, doodles, etc. There could have been a bit more written content I think, but personally, I didn't miss it too much. I think that people who don't really listen to Florence & The Machine won't get much from this, but fans will like it a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment