Tuesday 19 August 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: My picks for 'Books People Constantly Say I MUST Read'.

I actually get this so often from a variety of different sources that I have lost count of how many books I've been told I must read. I've listed the ten that pretty instantly came to mind but I have no doubt that I'll remember a ton more when I read other people's lists!

1) 'Going Bovine'; Libba Bray. 

Now generally I'm told that Libba Bray is a must read, whichever of her books. But I chose this one in particular because every time one of my book-loving friends enters my house and sees it on my bookshelf they gush about it. Then, upon realising I haven't yet read it, they proceed to tell me what a terrible person I am for having put it off for so long! When I first got this book I gave it a go and just couldn't get beyond the first couple of chapters. I'm told so often how amazing it is that I feel I ought to give it another go! The only Libba Bray book I have read is 'A Great And Terrible Beauty', and I did quite enjoy that one too (I really ought to get round to the rest of that series).

2) 'Shiver'; Maggie Stiefvater.

I was told to read this a long time ago, even went so far as to borrow it. But then I never got as far as reading it and had to give it back. I promised myself I'd read it another time and never did. Since then, I've joined the Blogging community and seen Maggie Stiefvater everywhere, alongside mass recommendations for all of her books. This series (and indeed, this author) has evaded me for far too long and so I've decided enough is enough. I bought 'Shiver' in Wales a month or so ago, now I just have to get round to reading it!

3) 'The Iron King'; Julie Kagawa.

I actually saw this series in a shop before it was recommended to me, but the covers didn't grab my attention enough to pursue. After glimpsing in on the store's shelf however, I started seeing it all over the Blogosphere! As well as that, I really enjoyed Holly Black's 'Tithe' and apparently the book's world is in a similar vein. I don't get to read many books on the Fae so I think this would be a nice read. It's waiting on my Kindle, I just have to make that final step and pick it up to read it!

4) 'Dreams Of Gods & Monsters'; Laini Taylor.

So the moment I wrote this title I ran for the nearest piece of furniture and hid behind it. Is it safe to come out yet? I adored 'Daughter Of Smoke & Bone', and enjoyed 'Dreams Of Gods & Monsters' even more! Everyone I know who has read this series, has told me I'm pretty much missing out on the biggest treat of my life by putting this one off. Why am I putting it off? I guess I just don't want this book series to end. I think I have a phobia of Series Finales. I need to face this ridiculous fear though frankly, because it looks so good.

5) 'The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry'; Rachel Joyce.

Now this is slightly different because at first it was Goodreads constantly telling me that I must read it. then Amazon joined in with the constant recommendations and I have to say I was pretty intrigued! I saw it reviewed on a few blogs and it came highly recommended, sounding completely like my cup of tea. When I went to Waterstones not too long ago, I actually bought it. Since then, my sister has read it and I haven't, and she is also telling me I have to read it. Bev doesn't normally go wrong with her book recommendations to me, therefore I think I ought to take her advice.

6) 'Fangirl'; Rainbow Rowell.

Much like Libba Bray, I'm actually covering all Rainbow Rowell books here. 'Fangirl' is probably the one I hear most about though, I think I might be one of the only bloggers that hasn't read it currently. I hear so much about Rainbow Rowell as an author, but the one thing that's holding me back is that her books aren't usually the sort of thing I would go for. I have no doubt she's probably an amazing author, I'm just worried that my own tastes will get in the way of my reading experience. Still, her books have been recommended to me too many times to ignore.

7) 'A Clash Of Kings'; George R.R. Martin.

Reading this topic title took me right back to when I had a couple of friends over recently. We got onto the massive topic of 'A Song Of Ice & Fire' and I told them that I was well into the Game Of Thrones TV Series and had started the books. When I revealed that I had so far only read the very first of the series, their exact words were in fact 'You must read the rest'. Many a blogger has also told me that 'A Clash Of Kings' is the best of the books, so I'm clearly missing out by not reading it, particularly as I loved the first book so much!

8) 'Splintered'; A.G. Howard.

I'm not sure quite when this book came onto my radar, but it was definitely around the time I started my blog. 'You love fairy-tale retellings?' people said. 'Then try out this series!'. Of course a lot of series like it have been recommended to me, and I'm not sure I'm the biggest fan of the covers, but it really does look like a fantastic set of books. Also, just when I was forgetting about it, 'Ensnared' was announced and blogs everywhere went crazy. Perhaps I should read them before it comes out, so I can join in the excitement!

9) 'Siege & Storm'; Leigh Bardugo.

Much like Laini Taylor's series, I saw this one everywhere and decided to catch up with everyone else by reading 'Shadow & Bone'. Again, I loved it and now I really need to read the next in the series, 'Siege & Storm'. It's on the list for this month and I really don't have any excuses as to why I haven't started it yet, other than there's too little time and too many books to read in the world. I hope I love it as much as I loved it's predecessor! Don't be too mean to me for not having started it yet, I am severely hanging my head in shame.

10) 'The Selection'; Kiera Cass.

For me, the astoundingly beautifully book cover drew my eye to this one. It sort of reminded me of Alice In Wonderland, with all the mirrors hanging about! Once I got past this, I confess I was a little unsure about the synopsis. But so many people have told me to read this story and seem to think I'll love it, so I'm thinking that I really ought to give it a try. If I don't like it then fair enough, but it's had so many good reviews that I most probably will.

No comments:

Post a Comment