Sunday 18 May 2014

Weekly Wishlist #13

I got up rather late this morning, and have been doing a lot of tidying, so this is coming a bit later than usual! Here are this week's picks! I'm going for a bit of a book theme today, after shopping with Bev on Friday I realised just how many I actually want! 

1) 'One Hundred Years Of Solitude'; Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Now I have only ever heard of Gabriel Garcia Marquez, I've never read a book of his. He's become something of a legend within the Author community and when he died recently, the Book Blogosphere was filled with tribute posts and sadness. The genre of Magical Realism has always been one I'd like to explore more deeply and having looked into this author's work, they sound like the kind of books I would enjoy! Not just fantasy, but deeper and more meaningful with a touch of magic to make things interesting. I would love to give them a go, and this book looks as good a place to start as any!

2) 'The Enchanted'; Rene Denfeld. Now this one has been on my TBR list for a while. Something about this book's synopsis and it's cover art has just drawn me in. Every time I scroll past it on my Goodreads list I stop and stare at it for a bit, then check to see how much it is on Amazon. It has gone in the basket and stayed there more times than I care to count. I honestly don't know why I haven't bought it yet! It just looks like a beautiful book to read and I'm really in the mood for something a bit deeper at the moment.



3) 'The Woodcutter'; Kate Danley. I must really be in the mood for some magic at the moment! My favourite genre of all, as most people know, is Fairy-Tale Re-Tellings. I stumbled upon this one quite by accident and was instantly drawn to the cover art. It is gorgeous! Having then read the synopsis, this looks like a fairy-tale and a half! This one doesn't just focus on one specific fairy-tale, but is set in a realm where they co-exist. It sounds like an intriguing idea and I'm keen to get into this one!



4) 'The Falconer'; Elizabeth May. I have never read a Steampunk novel before. It is another genre that looks like something I would really enjoy, but has somehow always eluded me. I was initially attracted to this one when I heard from so many reviewers that the Heroine was strong. There is nothing like a good, independent, badass heroine! But when I read the synopsis, I was initially surprised because I expected it to be different, then desperate to read it because it sounds like such a good book! A feisty main character, Faeries and a new genre I have yet to explore. Yes. Of course I want this book!



5) 'Howl's Moving Castle'; Diana Wynne Jones. So I've done quite a lot of exploring the new, let's go back to something more familiar. I am a real fan of Studio Ghibli films, and their adaption of this popular book is absolutely fantastic! It makes me really desperate to read the original story and revisit Howl, Sophie, Calcifer and even the Witch Of The Waste. Characters I have loved and watched many times. In short, I really want this book.




Like I said, this week is all books. Nothing else has really come up in anything else, and since I've only just had my Birthday, I'm in a pretty good place right now! I'm always desperate for more books though.

No comments:

Post a Comment